Saturday, July 7, 2012

how to keep your radishes crisp for over a week

Making radishes last all week

Every week when I go to the market, I pick up a bunch of radishes, among other things. I can’t get enough of them in the summer, and yes, I realize that this blog is named for a radish so it’s no surprise that I am awash in these guys come spring and summer. I love to just bite into them and dip them in soft butter flaked with fleur de sel; I love to generously slice them to my favorite summer salad; I’m a huge fan of the butter-herb-radish crostini – I’ll talk about it next week.

But radishes are great on day one and then are so so, and by the end of the week, they’re soft and have lost their crunch. There’s almost an unpleasant leathery chewiness to them that’s just not appealing.

So how to keep radishes from losing their bite and crunch all week? I believe I’ve found a solution.

Ready for the week.

As soon as you get home from the greenmarket, separate your radishes from the greens. Using a sturdy vegetable brush, scrub the radishes thoroughly so they are free of any sand and dirt, and rinse them thoroughly in cold water. Get either a large wide mouth glass jar, or, in my case a large gallon-sized resealable bag (if you’ve run out of large jars). Line the bottom of the jar or bag with a layer of paper towels. Put still-damp radishes on top. Put another layer of paper towel and repeat until you are out of radishes. If using a bag, squeeze out excess air and voila! Crunchy, fresh radishes all week (and beyond!) long.

There’s an added bonus: Should you get a random radish craving (like I do), you can just run over to your fridge, and pull a radish out of the bag. No rinsing needed – you can crunch away without any delays.

Wonderful! My husband loves radishes, but we never end up eating them enough. Does this help with the smell they give off after a while?

July 7, 2012 3:23 pm
    jodi said:

I noticed that problem too and I asked the farmer at my market about it, and he said don’t wash them until you are ready to eat them. So then I am stuck putting literally ‘dirty’ radishes in my fridge! I like your idea better, The paper towel absorbs any excess moisture— I will try it, thanks!

July 7, 2012 3:44 pm

Lauren – I haven’t noticed a funky smell with my radishes.

July 7, 2012 4:07 pm
    Bridget said:

Thanks for the tip! I, too, have a husband who loves radishes and I grow them year round. Of course, they are ready to pick all at once, so there’s a couple weeks worth of radishes and the last ones look pitiful. Now you have given them a new lease on life!

Can’t wait for your radish recipe.

July 7, 2012 5:24 pm

Bridget – it’s more of a great snack, hardly a recipe! But it’s a childhood favorite.

July 7, 2012 6:58 pm
    Sam said:

What a brilliant idea. I’m going to do this with the radishes I just brought home!

July 7, 2012 6:59 pm
    Connie said:

Use the Ziploc veggie bags and don’t wash until you eat. I normally cut the greens out, but still, my radishes stay fresh for 2+ weeks in the veggie bags.

July 7, 2012 8:11 pm
    Emilia said:

Oh, I almost forgot about this vegetable :) Thanks for reminding me of this great fresh summer crunch! Have a great Sunday! / Emilia

July 8, 2012 3:15 am
    lia said:

recently i started using the radish leaves in my salads. flavor similar to arugula. if you like them, you can always ask to get extra leaves (since most people ask to have them removed at the green market).

July 8, 2012 8:28 am

This is a great tip – thanks!

July 8, 2012 5:59 pm
    Dara said:

you can also just immerse them in a small bowl of water and keep them in the fridge. they last all week like this for sure!

July 9, 2012 1:54 am

Dara – that hasn’t worked for me. It changes the flavor of the radish – it becomes more watery and has less bite, which i guess makes sense when you soak it.

July 9, 2012 7:13 am

I should try this! I love radishes too, but since they are so strong and peppery we can only eat a few at a time. I read that other vegetables like carrots and beets should be stored separately from their green tops. Like the other commenter above I also thought we should wash veggies right before we use them, but this is certainly worth a try. I suppose the paper towels would absorb any excess moisture. And when they do lose their bite by the end of the week, I drizzle them with olive oil, add salt and pepper, and roast them in the oven! (though I doubt the idea of turning on the oven in this heat would appeal to anyone right now)

Thanks for the tip!

July 9, 2012 9:35 am
    Cara said:

That’s just what I do! I usually put them in a Tupperware container, rather than a plastic bag. But the paper towels seem to be key.

July 10, 2012 7:20 am

Cara – I have a glass jar, normally, but they were all filled with things, so ziploc it was!

July 10, 2012 8:01 am
    heidi said:

I love these kinds of tips, simple as they may be but these are the things that make life in the kitchen a little easier. I do something similar with cilantro and parsley. I wrap them in paper towels and put them in a bag and they hold up way longer.The other one I just love is to use an empty soda or water bottle and when you cut up the greens on onions, put them in the bottle and put it in the freezer and you have fresh cut-up greens that you just shake out of the bottle onto whatever you ned. I throw away so much less with this method and they are ready anytime you need them.

July 10, 2012 7:51 pm

[...] How to keep your radishes crisp for over a week :: Sassy Radish [...]

July 18, 2012 12:27 am

One of my favorite fruit is Radishes .Daily i eat radishes.

July 19, 2012 12:56 pm

Mine have just expired :(. I’ll follow your tip in the future. Thanks for your advices!

August 7, 2012 10:59 am
    Marylou said:

Cook them…they are wonderful cooked, sweet and crunchy. Delish!!

August 8, 2012 10:48 am

Thanks for the tip, this has been one of those vegetable mysteries to me until now!

October 11, 2012 5:57 pm

William – so glad I could help :)

October 11, 2012 6:14 pm
    biz said:

I had some pretty withered looking radishes from last week. I debated throwing them out, and then decided instead to try a little mad scientist experiment to bring them back to LIFE MUAHAHAHA!!! By gum, it worked. Re-crunchy, re-plumped, they were brought back from the grave and tasted like new. I have no idea if this is a bad idea, but our stomachs are made of steel in my family. Not sure if I should recommend my mad, mad solution.

May 29, 2013 9:14 am
    Sarit said:

I arrived here after I searched in Google how to keep Radish fresh I think this idea works better than all what I’ve tried before thanks!. Just wondering though when I cut the radish should the inside surface have white rounded little dots?

August 13, 2013 8:19 am
    olga said:

Sarit – never seen that before; that might have something to do with your radishes rather than the storage method?

August 13, 2013 8:22 am
    Sarit said:

Hi Olga I think I will have to get a photo of this once I can and then you will able to Jude it better…

August 15, 2013 5:00 am
    FRANK said:

Just came to end of a week’s batch. Had cut off greens, both ends. Washed. Like Dara I put them in Tupperware container bottom of fridge. Held up well for 5 days. Fridge is bit on cold side and I didn’t stick them in crisper very bottom. Next bunch I’ll add the wet towels & maybe use the crisper section to avoid the cold. They hadn’t frozen but by end had gotten sort of a Popsicle texture. No fun there. Thanks for ideas.

September 13, 2013 8:00 pm
    Sarit said:

Hi I know it’s for radishes but can I ask on how to correctly freeze lecctuce?

October 1, 2013 3:22 pm
    olga said:

Sarit – unfortunately, you cannot freeze lettuce and use it after. You can, however, refrigerate it with great success. Wash the lettuce leaves as soon as you get home, dry them with paper towels (or a salad spinner), wrap in slightly damp paper towels, and place in a resealable plastic bag. Hope this helps.

October 3, 2013 7:04 am
    MJ said:

Lovely!

I’ve recently discovered radishes… I’m obsessed with them for breakfast, AKA toast with butter, cream cheese and thinly sliced radishes. I think they call them Queen victoria sandwiches or something.

Thx for the tip!

November 24, 2013 3:36 pm
    Phil said:

I love radishes, especially as a side with a cold cut sandwich. I love the fresh crunchy experience they give. Just makes a cold cut sandwich and chips a great quick mid-day meal. Now how long this works, I can’t tell you – radishes don’t stay in my fridge long enough, but, I cut off top and bottom, wash them, and put them in a large cup submerged in water. Put them in the fridge and they are excellent. Crispy and tasty. As I said, I don’t know how long they keep like that – I eat mine soon enough, but a week to ten days is no problem.

March 16, 2014 6:46 pm

[…] We also have radishes which are a sure sign of spring.  This year we want to try to be more helpful regarding how to store various vegetables. Here is a link about storing radishes: http://www.sassyradish.com/2012/07/how-to-keep-your-radishes-crisp-for-over-a-week/ […]

March 28, 2014 5:23 pm

[…] how to keep radishes from losing their bite and crunch all week? I believe I’ve found a solution: http://www.sassyradish.com/2012/07/how-to-keep-your-radishes-crisp-for-over-a-week/ As soon as you get home from the market, separate your radishes from the greens. Using a sturdy […]

April 8, 2014 8:59 pm