Monday, April 2, 2012

homemade matzo meal

Homemade matzo meal

Perhaps this is to be filed under the “obvious” category, but still, I feel the need to post this. The other day, I was wandering around my local supermarket looking for something – what I can’t remember anymore. There were two ladies talking behind me, and one lamented that she’s been all over this neighborhood trying to find matzo meal, but no one had it. What was she to do this weekend, come Passover?

Normally, I don’t eavesdrop on others’ conversations, and in the rare case I do, I certainly don’t walk over and give them advice. But in this case, I felt that it would be wrong not to say something.

“Sorry to butt in,” I said, “but your problems are easily solved if you have a food processor.”

The ladies were listening.

“Well, you just stick some pieces of matzo in your food processor and pulverize them until you get them finely ground. Sort of like making your own breadcrumbs.”

“Are you serious,” one of the ladies was incredulous, “that’s all that matzo meal is? You’ve just solved a huge problem for me!”

And with that, she grabbed a few boxes of matzo and headed towards the check-out.

This made me think that perhaps it’s not a widely known fact that matzo meal is simply ground up matzo – a breadcrumbs substitute over the holiday.

So, if you find yourself in need of matzo meal and only boxes of matzo lying around, just grind them up – and voila! Matzo meal in mere seconds.

Matzo Meal

Makes about 1/2 cup

2 sheets matzo, broken into several pieces

In a food processor fitted with a blade, matzo pieces. Process until the matzo forms a finely ground mixture. Transfer to an airtight container or use right away.

See more: Pantry Basics,

I love this story. So so so funny. You would think that this would be obvious to people. Apparently it’s not.

April 2, 2012 2:20 pm

Brian – I am kind of embarrassed even writing up a “recipe” for it. But I wonder if it’s more of a no brainer for you and me and less so for many other folks.

April 2, 2012 2:29 pm
    Margarita said:

I have on more than a few occasions talked to strangers at grocery stores about random things I overhear in conversations. I feel embarrassed butting in, but I can’t help it, I feel like I would be doing a disservice if I don’t offer what I know. So, thanks for sharing this information. :)

April 2, 2012 4:43 pm

I love this tip! I think it’s fine to offer up advice. Usually most people talking in the aisle know others hear them…so no worries. Jumped over from google plus. ;)

April 2, 2012 8:31 pm

Last Friday I shopped six stores trying to gather everything I needed for our multi-cultural/multi-religion family to make it through Passover and Easter, never mind that it is also my daughter’s birthday and fulfilling her request for a pink and purple birthday cake was a trip unto itself. I had a brief thought as I cursed the fact that Whole Foods only had whole wheat matzo meal that I should be able to whiz up some in the food processor but I didn’t want to mess with the matzo balls if you know what I mean. Thanks, next time I will stop at five stores :)

April 2, 2012 9:18 pm
    Amy said:

I teach in a synagogue preschool, and we always crush matzah inside ziplocs by whaling on them with wooden hammers. (and it’s not just the kids that love this part!). We use the homemade matzah meal to make matzah balls, and I now do it at home as well. Works great,especially if you prefer “sinkers” with more of a nutty taste.

April 3, 2012 6:24 am
    lia said:

It would seem obvious but when I tried it last year, the “homemade” matzo meal didn’t come out as finally ground as the store bought. I didn’t end up using it for baked products. Any thoughts?

April 3, 2012 7:21 am

Ila – yes, you get a slightly more varied texture – a good point. But I like that in my homemade matzo meal same as I prefer to make my own “irregular” breadcrumbs. There’s definitely a way to smooth out the bigger guys by pounding them out – it is a bit more effort. My personal complaint, really, is that my food processor is somewhat defective and make the most insane mess ever. I’ve worked in other kitchens and it’s never nearly as bad :)

April 3, 2012 10:19 am

Great story. I encounter that kind of “duh!?” moment all the time with my students (I teach cooking) with the most simple culinary facts. It is interesting how little food lore is passed down anymore between the generations and how clueless people can be in the kitchen…they are so grateful for the tips and info…even in the aisles of the grocery store! In the same vein…corn flour is nothing but finely ground corn meal…and almond flour nothing but finely ground almonds, etc….both come in handly for gluten-free baking…Happy Holidays…and check out my Flourless Chocolate Coconut Cake for Passover and Easter on my blog!

April 3, 2012 10:52 am

[…] I gave you a tip about making homemade matzo meal – I’m still embarrassed about it. Sort of. I don’t want to presume that this is what […]

April 3, 2012 11:50 am
    Amanda said:

how intriguing! I’m actually embarrassed to admit it – but I had no idea what matzo meal was until now, much less how simple it was to make! Maybe it’s a Jewish/cultural thing? But thank you for pointing out this “obvious” thing to me!

April 6, 2012 7:06 pm
    Ellen said:

I don’t own a food processor, and I’m wondering if I could try this in the blender. What do you think? Otherwise, I’ll try the manual method.

April 16, 2012 3:24 am

Ellen – I think if you have a good, powerful blender, it might do the trick. Could you let all of us know if it works for you?

April 16, 2012 11:12 am
    Laura said:

Great post! I’ll admit, I’m ashamed this wasn’t a no-brainer for me in the past. I’m glad our food co-op forgot to order it this year, and so there was a run on matzo meal in other parts of town. I’ll never buy the over-priced substance again. Although it was a bit hard to get perfectly uniform texture in food processor. I think I’ll try Vitamix next time.

April 20, 2012 3:48 am
    Irina said:

The food processor is kind of magical. Once I realized that a lot of ingredients are really just pulverized versions of something, I started trying to see if I can make them myself. Basically, almost anything “ground” can be reproduced easily. (note: making your own powdered sugar will scratch up the plastic bowl a bit, and it will not be as powdery as you’d like, and also will create a lot of sugar dust, which is not pleasant. Just buy powdered sugar).
    I have to say, it did feel silly to have an “a-ha!” moment when I realized that almond meal is just almonds I can pulse a few times. Seems obvious, but only once it hits you :)

April 24, 2012 10:30 am
    Annie said:

Like a previous poster, I have tried this and it doesn’t come out the same. Now that was a long time ago, so I can’t remember if I tried it for matzo balls, which is what I would be making with matzo meal. Maybe I should try it again, as the store I shop at carries matzo crackers on occasion and not matzo meal.

I also tried making matzo crackers once and that was a bust also. Mm…come to think of it, maybe that was what went into the failed matzo meal!

May 9, 2012 2:02 pm
    Bonnie in Australia said:

Hi, that was very helpful advice, but I have another question. I live in a very multicultural area and I haven’t seen matzo before.
    Is matzo an unlevened cracker; is it wheat/ buckwheat/ amaranth/ rice/ potato flour based? does it have any sort of herbs? I am looking at an apple tea cake recipe that is only asking for matzo meal instead of wheat flour.

October 31, 2012 8:16 am

Bonnie – matzo, as referred to in recipes, is an unleavened wheat cracker. I’ve never had trouble finding it in the US but I’ve always lived in cities. Are you near an area that has a sizeable Jewish population? If so, the stores should stock matzo and/or matzo meal.

October 31, 2012 8:29 am
    Comet said:

I live in an area that DOES have a decent size Jewish population in the larger towns. Altho I live in the wilderness and my kids were three out of the 4 Jewish kids in their school for the entire time from K thru 12.

Our Walmart apparently is NOT carrying matzoh meal now. Maybe at Pesach. And our local large show place multi culti Price Chopper is also not carrying much in the way of Jewish stuff at all–they DID have a package of “Matzoh Ball Soup Mix” which MIGHT have made one matzoh ball. While I was standing there trying to see if they might have some hidden behind the other items another man came by looking for–matzoh meal! I said jokingly that I was going to have to learn how to make my own matzoh meal at which time the poor guy looked at me like I had sprouted wings. I said—But its ONLY GROUND UP MATZOHS! How hard could it BE!

I checked here to see if anyone had the “answer” to the uneven pieces yet–after 5000 years you would THINK that we could figure this out people! But alas it is processor and zippy bag and rolling pin for me I fear!!!!

If you don’t keep kosher (or if you can find kosher pre-cooked chickens!) I have taken to making soup out of the “rotisserie” chickens and adding herbs carrots onions celery and—one of the three “secrets” of chicken soup—half a bag of PEPPERIDGE FARMS HERB STUFFING for a LARGE pot of soup. (If I make my own chicken this is already part of the recipe!) Add this at the start. After straining all of the “stuff” out prior to finishing I add a shot of TAMARI SAUCE and then—every body’s Bubbe’s trick—-several CHICKEN CUBES!!!!! (aka boullion cubes invented by a family member of ours)

I have found my family loves TURKEY MATZOH BALL SOUP even more than chicken–if that is possible.

January 3, 2013 9:43 pm
    Krista said:

Thanks a million! I just went all over town looking for matzo meal, for my first Passover which I hope to wow my boyfriends parents with my matzo ball soup skills! :)

March 18, 2013 1:26 pm
    olga said:

Krista – good luck! :)

March 18, 2013 3:02 pm
    Martha said:

great tip, but I am looking for an “actual” recipe to make the matzah meal itself. From all the responses I guess I should make matzah then crush it. I thought there might be a shorter method. Jewish people have broken left over matzah for meal, seemingly forever. If anyone has a shorter way to create meal…please let me know at MartaS614@gmail.com

March 27, 2013 3:30 pm
    olga said:

Marta – matzo meal is nothing more than crushed matzo. That’s how you arrive at it. You can purchase matzo in most stores around large cities, but I don’t know where you live. If you are near a temple, you can ask a rabbi or someone to direct you. To have kosher fr passover matzo (and then meal) it has to be approved by a rabbi (i.e. made in compliance with the jewish law). Are you looking for a matzo recipe?

March 28, 2013 7:30 am
    lydia said:

What are matzol is cracker if not what can substitute for it?

April 21, 2013 9:38 am
    olga said:

Lydia – matzo is essentially a cracker made with flour and water, however, if it’s kosher for passover, then it’s the only thing that’s allowed to be used i.e. you can’t just use a cracker and make a meal out of it. You have to use kosher for passover matzo to make matzo meal (or purchase matzo meal already made). If you’re not cooking for passover, you can certainly find regular matzo (not approved by rabbi for k for p uses). But I don’t know anything else that has just those 2 ingredients. hope that helps.

April 21, 2013 2:00 pm
    steve said:

Well that’s blatantly obvious but what if you cannot buy matzoh

August 6, 2013 1:07 am
    olga said:

steve – where do you live that you cannot buy matzo? and can you order it online?

August 6, 2013 6:57 am
    Julie J. said:

Have to say I laughed out loud when I found this post after coming home from 4 grocery stores disappointed because I could not find matzo meal. My husband and I both have the flu and I love Jewish Chicken Soup w/matzo balls, but Jerry’s Deli is no longer in our neighbor so I thought I would attempt to make my own. I’m going back out to the store now to buy some matzo’s to pulverize in my Blendtec. Thanks so much for posting this!

October 6, 2013 6:59 pm
    olga said:

Julie J. – hope it you and your husband feel better soon!

October 7, 2013 8:09 am

[…] Helpful Resources homemade matzo meal | Sassy Radish […]

January 13, 2014 9:46 pm
    M Tanner said:

Wow – that was really helpful information!!! Like when I learned you can make powder sugar, from granulated sugar, in this same way! Thanks to Granny!!!

March 26, 2014 11:29 am