Wednesday, November 16, 2011

quinoa with brussels sprouts and pumpkin

quinoa with brussels sprouts and pumpkin

Hello, friends! It’s been while.

Sorry for the long silence. I’ve been meaning to write for quite some time. I had plans to post a week ago, in fact, while I was in LA for the IFBC Santa Monica conference. But that was the day I felt like the death was coming over me and I wound up sleeping all day in the hotel.

sprouts!

To fly across the country only to pull the covers over your head and pass out like it’s going out of style seems like an expensive way to nap. Nothing like feeling dead for a conference where you’re slotted to speak. My topic was “Writing About Food and Culture”, a topic that felt ironic to me given that I barely ate throughout the entire conference (save one dinner with a friend). A few bites here and there, no more. I couldn’t stomach it.

Before I took my afternoon long nap on Thursday, I was driving around the city with Andrew Scrivani (my suite mate for the trip) looking for lunch. We went to one of his favorite sushi joints where I ate precisely three pieces of sushi. Three. And then I drank four cups of green tea because I was achy and had the chills.

Sometime en route to the hotel, I got an email from a friend. It was one of those things you forward on to others, and this one was about what it was like growing up Russian. Things like if your mom makes you something to eat and you say you’re not hungry, she responds with a, “What, you have to be hungry to eat this?”; or you don’t understand why not everyone sleeps under a down comforter year–round.I found these hysterical; I was reading the email to Andrew (with translations) and we were both howling. I mean, THIS IS MY LIFE, people. And I sleep under a “summer” down comforter when it’s warm out, but let’s face it – it’s still down.

I’m spread a bit thin these days juggling a few things here and there, but mostly a project that’s requiring a lot of my attention this month and possibly the next. I’ll leave it at that – but the end result is: I simply write and post less. I’ve all but abandoned the blog. Hello, are you there, blog?

[crickets]

kabocha slices

It’s entirely possible that by the time I finish writing this, the blog would’ve up and left.

I certainly hope that it doesn’t happen, but there are no guarantees in life as far as these things go.

quinoa with brussels sprouts and pumpkin

There are, however, guarantees in other things; like things in the kitchen. For instance, it is a well-documented fact that brussels sprouts, when roasted, reach a state of deliciousness ne plus ultra. Ditto for small, sweet, orange pumpkins that your fiancĂ© picks up at the farmers’ market. And if you throw all that together with some quinoa, you have the makings of a delicious supper, or a Thanksgiving side that, dare I say, is also quite good for you. Are such things possible, that this is a side dish that my mom can serve and her diabetic-friendly Thanksgiving table; and a vegan could share with his like-minded friends; and someone who keeps a gluten-free diet; and it also happens to be kosher? Have I suddenly uncovered the Thanksgiving dish that can appeal to all but the most confirmed brussels sprouts haters? (Because let’s face it: no one truly hates a pumpkin. That vegetable carried Cinderella to the ball all the while disguised as a carriage – it is pure magic!”

Perhaps, it’s not a one-size-fits-all dish, but it gets pretty damn close. And I’m okay with that.

Quinoa with Brussels Sprouts and Pumpkin

1 1/2 cups black quinoa, rinsed
7 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more to taste
1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
2 pounds kabocha squash, cut into 1-inch thick pieces
1 pound Brussels sprouts, halved
Zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 2 lemons
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon Aleppo pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/3 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts

1. In a 4-quart pot, combine the quinoa with 3 cups of water, 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until the water has been absorbed and the germ of the quinoa is visible. Remove from heat, fluff with a fork, and set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Brush the slices of squash with olive oil, and in a large bowl, toss together the Brussels sprouts with 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Roast the squash and the sprouts on two separate pans (Brussels sprouts cut-side down) for 30 minutes, until nicely browned and the squash is soft when pierced with a knife. Remove from the oven and cool.
3. Meanwhile make the dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together zest of 1 lemon, juice of 2 lemons, the garlic, Aleppo pepper, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and coriander. Let sit for 2 minutes to infuse. Add the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil and whisk to emulsify.
4. Transfer the quinoa, the squash, and the Brussels sprouts to a large bowl. Add the raisins and the pine nuts, toss a few times to loosely combine. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to thoroughly distribute. Taste and adjust the seasonings.

Serves 8 to 10.

This looks right up my alley. I’m doing a sugar and gluten detox at the moment and this will be the perfect addition to my meals!

November 16, 2011 10:53 pm

Yum! This looks so earthy and healthy and delicious! The ingredients are all favorites of mine, so I look forward to trying it.
    I love the colors too…like Autumn in a bowl. Gorgeous :)

November 16, 2011 10:54 pm

My friend, I’m here, so no crickets! And you simply must send over the translations to this email you speak of. I need a good laughing session. Haven’t had one in… well, a while.

Now, this bowl of autumnal deliciousness (love the colors, btw!), I could go for several of these! I’m now jotting down a list of what I’ve to pick up after my few-hour meeting tomorrow in the city; this will be Friday evening’s supper.

November 16, 2011 11:40 pm
    Jennifer said:

This looks interesting and I am excited to try it! What’s the difference between black quinoa and white quinoa? I have a bulk bag of white quinoa, but didn’t even know other varieties existed. Thank you.

November 17, 2011 9:33 am

[...] for guilt-free Thanksgiving side dishes? This veggie-packed quinoa is not only good for you, it also fits into diabetic-friendly, vegan, or gluten-free meal. Get more [...]

November 17, 2011 10:48 am

I read the same email about being Russian and was rolling on the floor laughing! The one about your not finishing your grandmothers 7 course meal equates with you no longer loving her! THE BEST!
    Makes me wonder if this is where my obsession with food comes from or love of it rather. After all it seems Russian kids are not give much of a choice but to EAT EVERYTHING! I mean that in a good way.

November 17, 2011 12:40 pm

Oh yum! I love all these ingredients. Can’t wait to take this recipe on a spin around my kitchen!

November 17, 2011 1:17 pm
    Hannah said:

I’m so sorry to hear you were sick at the conference! Hopefully you’ve recovered and are feeling energetic again.

You’ve combined some delightful fall flavors here – I have lots of Brussels sprouts right now so this is on the list to make.

Be well!

November 17, 2011 3:26 pm
    Lys said:

Just as an aside, I doubt you’ll lose many readers as your writing style is so lovely. Those who write just for the sake of writing, always have a strong following. Don’t worry!

This looks absolutely wonderful. I was looking forward to doing something with all the sprouts I scooped up on sale (1.99 a pound, yay!). I think Roo is getting sick of eating them just by their lonesome so some quinoa seems like a great idea. Thanks for sharing!

November 17, 2011 5:35 pm

You still have friends out here cheering you on and who love coming back here for wonderful recipes and writing. You do not disappoint, darling. :-)

November 17, 2011 7:10 pm

I’m glad you’re feeling better! How miserable to fly cross-country only to feel like crap and not be able to enjoy it.

I adore roasted Brussels, and this dish sounds just incredible.

November 18, 2011 1:10 pm

You’ve used so many of my favorite things all in one dish, but I never would have thought to combine them.

Sorry you were sick on your trip. Traveling when not feeling well is the absolute worst.

November 18, 2011 1:51 pm
    rachel said:

the red quinoa is so pretty! hope you’re feeling better!

November 18, 2011 4:47 pm
    olga said:

Jennifer – the difference bw the red and the white is simply texture. I find the red one to be a bit crunchier/nuttier. But they’re both quite tasty. My favorite is to mix the two and then it looks really beautiful in the bowl.

November 18, 2011 4:49 pm
    jackie said:

looks lovely – is that a green pumpkin? I ask because it looks rather like the un-ID’d squash I have in my fridge right now… hmm.

November 18, 2011 5:04 pm
    Luba said:

I need to see this email about growing up Russian! The down comforter thing! Yes! So true! Oh, and the recipe sounds delicious too…

November 18, 2011 5:10 pm
    Mariya said:

I fear this email is becoming a must read. Can you share? I’m curious about it too. I wonder if my mom would be able to laugh at it too.

November 18, 2011 10:04 pm
    Irene said:

Wow, you were right next to my house!!! I also got that email and my husband and I were doubled over with laughter for like two days. This is our life too.

November 18, 2011 10:58 pm

Jackie – it’s a teeny, tiny, baby kabocha!

November 19, 2011 6:38 am

Mariya – I’ll email it to you! :)

November 19, 2011 6:39 am
    Sara said:

You are so right about brussels sprouts–it’s amazing the magic that roasting can do. I love the idea of mixing them with quinoa and pumpkin in this way. And it looks suitably easy and low pressure to put together, which it sounds like you need. Glad to see you post even if less frequently–it happens!

November 21, 2011 11:15 am

The radish is one of my favorite veggies, thanks for giving it some attention!

November 22, 2011 12:06 am

Those little little green green are so cute.. :)

November 22, 2011 2:41 am
    Winnie said:

Looks so good Olga! I did not realize you got sick in SaMo…hope you’re all better now ;)

November 22, 2011 12:34 pm
    Vivienne said:

Great dish! And now that’s three for three! The granola BTW was awesome!

November 23, 2011 9:54 pm
    tariqata said:

I had to change this up a bit (the bulk store had run out of red quinoa and while butternut squash is abundant, kabocha is hard to find), but it was delicious nonetheless!

November 24, 2011 10:40 pm
    Emilia said:

I always need a good (delicious) excuse to prepare quinoa. Love it!

December 2, 2011 4:10 am

This looks fabulous! So healthy and delicious. YUM–I want to make this asap.

December 16, 2011 3:16 pm

The absolute best way to cook brussels sprouts is to roast them, but I usually just stop there. I love how well-balanced all of the flavors in this dish sound, while still being exciting and interesting.

March 8, 2012 12:46 pm
    Christina said:

Does this reheat well or is it also good cold or at room temperature? Have you ever made it with a pie pumpkin?

October 22, 2012 9:34 pm

Christina – it’s delicious at room temperature, yes, or is good cold. I don’t like it with a pie pumpkin – the texture is all wrong, but that’s just me.

October 23, 2012 8:09 am

It’s going to be finish of mine day, however before finish I am reading this great paragraph to improve my
    experience.