- Sassy Radish - http://www.sassyradish.com -
black pepper ice cream
Posted By olga On August 2, 2009 @ 10:11 pm In Desserts, Candies & Other Sweets | 23 Comments
Black Pepper Ice Cream
Adapted from The Perfect Scoop 
1/2 cup (125 ml) whole milk
1/3 cup (65 grams) sugar
1 tablespoon black peppercorns, coarsely cracked
1/2 vanilla bean, seeds scraped out
pinch of salt
1 cup (250 ml) heavy cream
3 large egg yolks
1. Warm the milk, sugar, peppercorns, vanilla, salt, and 1/2 cup of the cream in a medium saucepan. Cover, remove from the heat, and let steep at room temperature for one hour.
2. Rewarm the peppercorn-infused mixture. Pour the remaining 1/2 cup cream into a large bowl and set a mesh strainer on top. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm mixture into the egg yolks (I would even advise drizzling it at first as not to cook the yolks), whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.
3. Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stire, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula. Pour the custard through the strainer, pressing the peppercorns gently to extract as much flavor as possible. Discard the peppercorns and stir the custard into the cream. Stir until cool over an ice bath.
4. Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Makes about 4 servings, or if you’re me, 1 serving for an ice cream lover with zero self-control.
black pepper ice cream originally published on sassyradish.com
URL to article: http://www.sassyradish.com/2009/08/black-pepper-ice-cream/
URLs in this post:
 The Perfect Scoop: http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Scoop-Sorbets-Granitas-Accompaniments/dp/1580088082/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1249266317&sr=8-1
All content & photos © 2004-2013 sassyradish.com.