Friday, June 26, 2009

pasta with stinging nettles and ramps pesto

pasta with ramps and stinging nettles pesto

It should by now not strike me as unusual that things we barely paid attention to in Russia are considered a delicacy in America. Sorrel leaves were the cheapest greens at the market. Chanterelles were considered pedestrian, no matter how delicious. Gooseberries were easily the cheapest berries you could find – and in the US they’re quite a treat. And then of course there were stinging nettles. They grew everywhere, much like weeds. Around apartment buildings, in ravines, in nearby fields. In fact, as a child, I was often covered in an itchy rash from stinging nettles. From time to time, my grandmother would go out and with a towel, pick a bunch of nettles and make them into a soup. In fact, stinging nettles was something you ate to pinch pennies, it was one of those things – delicious, yet somehow indicative of poverty. I didn’t really think about it much while I was young, but I remembered stinging nettles after we arrived to the US and couldn’t find any in the store or at farmers’ markets.

stinging nettles ramps

I suppose stinging nettles have become somewhat en vogue recently because I’ve been seeing them on menus and at green markets everywhere. Maybe it’s always been so and I haven’t been noticing, but it seems to me like suddenly, stinging nettles went from being the girl no one wanted to take to the dance to the girl pronounced them homecoming queen. Humble, unapproachable, homely stinging nettles – suddenly glamorous!

pasta with ramps and stinging nettles pesto pasta with ramps and stinging nettles pesto

I would have shared this dish with you sooner, but I thought the stinging nettles season was over and so this dish was going to go into my computer’s oubliette for a few seasons. But I heard through the bloggy-grapevine that stinging nettles were still abundant at least in Union Square market and so wanted to share this recipe with you as soon as possible.

pasta with ramps and stinging nettles pesto

I had a version of this dish at one of my favorite restaurants, Hundred Acres, on the first night of Passover of all nights. And guess what – it was in a pasta dish (I can see my parents shuddering as they read this bit) as pasta is probably the most anti-Passover food out there. But I was sad that night, because I couldn’t go home for the holiday, meanwhile my dad was sick, my grandmother – deteriorating. And here I was, feeling mopey on the eve of a family holiday, without family in the city to celebrate. Friends who know me well know that I rarely feel homesick, but on that night, I felt very lonely in a city where I feel very much at home. And to cheer myself up, I decided to take myself out to a nice dinner. I just happened to be walking past Hundred Acres – clearly I was meant to dine there that night.

ramps and stinging nettles pesto

Its simplicity and comfort of this pasta dish struck me as exactly what I needed that night. Even though it was as far away from a Passover-appropriate meal, I didn’t care. Passover is a tale of exodus, and a people’s search for home. And I, quite desperately, needed to feel a sense of home that night, at whatever cost. I wanted simple, hearty, homey – and this pasta offered it all. Not to mention as soon as I saw stinging nettles, my decision was even easier.

pasta with ramps and stinging nettles pesto

The next opportunity I had, I bought stinging nettles at Union Square market and tried to recreate this simple, yet amazing dish at home. And wanted to share it with you. Because to me, this pasta brought a little piece of home, in so many ways: the comfort and weight of fresh semolina pasta, the childhood stinging nettles, fragrant coating of olive oil, a sharp bite of grana padano. What I realized that night is that a delicacy need not be a fancy thing – it is the thing that makes you feel indulgent and wrapped in comfort, be it a common food or a fancy one.

Pasta with Stinging Nettles and Ramps Pesto
Inspired by Hundred Acres

You’ll note that I said nary a word about ramps, thus totally neglecting them in the write up. Nettles, while lovely, aren’t necessary here and I added them for depth, which you can certainly omit. Given how short a time span ramps are present at farmers’ markets, there’s little opportunity during the year to make this pesto as is. Plus the restaurant’s dish didn’t have ramps – those are my addition entirely.

Also, at some point, you’ll need to cook your pasta. I’ll leave it to you to decide when, during the making of your pesto, you want to do that.

1 lb fresh pasta, fresh semolina pasta or whatever past you can find (you want spaghetti or linguine – something hearty and thickish)
1 thick bunch of stinging nettles
1 bunch ramps
1/2 cup walnuts
quality extra virgin olive oil
1 cup freshly grated Grana Padano

1. With rubber gloves, so your hands don’t come in contact with stinging nettles, wash the nettles and trim their ends and any wilted rotting leaves you might find. Set the nettles aside. Remove the gloves.

2. Heat a glug of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.

3. Wash ramps carefully and thinly slice them. Add ramps to the oil and saute slowly.

4. Once ramps start looking more translucent and wilted, put the gloves back on and place the nettles on the pan on top of the ramps. Decrease the heat to low and cook until nettles are wilted and turn a darker green.

5. Remove from heat and spoon the nettles & ramps into a food processor. Throw in the walnuts. Add a few glugs of olive oil and start pulsing until the mixture resembles the consistency of pesto. How much oil you add depends on you and how thick or thinnish you like your pesto. There are no rules. This is merely a guideline.

6. Mix as much pesto as you need for however much pasta you are making. I had enough for 6 servings or so, but again, depends on how much pesto you wind up making. Top very generously with Grana Padano. The sharper the bite, the heartier your pesto dish will taste.

Leftover pesto will keep a few days.

Kasey said:

Who knew that the most dreaded plant of my youth would create such delicious-looking and tasting dishes! I might have to get over my fear of going near nettles…

June 26, 2009 4:24 pm

I didn’t know you could eat nettles until recently. My only experience with them was in France as a kid when I’d forget to look where I was going in the fields and come out covered in a rash. So do they lose their sting just after you cook them? Wonder how that works…

June 26, 2009 4:36 pm
    Emily said:

What do nettles taste like? Can you liken them to any other green out there – rabe, chard, etc…?

June 26, 2009 5:07 pm

I love your story about settling homesickness with food. That’s one of the things I love about food and food writing–so many associations and memories can be wrapped up in the simplest things. Thank you.

June 26, 2009 6:20 pm
    codfish said:

I’ve never had nettles in anything but tea before… maybe I can get my hands on some.
    Love that you take care of yourself so well!

June 27, 2009 9:57 am
    isabel said:

What a great way to use stinging nettles. We used to run from them in my parents’ garden as kids–what fools we were!

June 28, 2009 1:31 pm
    Pille said:

Looks delicious! We still eat stinging nettles here in Estonia – a nettle soup is popular during spring time. I’ve also used them in various pies and quiches (and blogged about them). But until recently you’d only get them by forageing yourself. However – I’ve spotted couple of vendors selling them at the central market :)
    Re: wearing gloves while handling raw nettles – the ‘stinging’ is supposed to be extremely good for you :)

June 28, 2009 3:32 pm

Pille – love your blog btw, and I remember my trip to Estonia when I was quite young. Actually I had to walk through an entire field of stinging nettles in the pouring rain – I was absolutely miserable. :) As far as it being good for me – I’m a total sissy!

June 28, 2009 4:12 pm
    EB said:

I love these culinary revelations you have re: your Russian tradition and being here now. I have to admit I’ve never tried sorrel or nettles, but I have noticed them popping up on menus. This might not be a recipe I’d try, but I love the story behind it.

June 29, 2009 2:10 pm

Thanks for sharing your story — and the recipe. I’ve not yet worked up the gumption to try stinging nettles. They sound painful, after all. (of course, so does prickly pear cactus and I eat that…). By the way, a very nice food processor shot. No, seriously. I can never take a decent looking picture of a food processor or what’s in it, ever.

June 29, 2009 4:20 pm

Yum, Yum and Yum! off for stinging nettles…
    ps love your pasta bowl.

June 30, 2009 10:44 am

this sounds delicious and so unique! i’ve been stung by the nettles at farmer’s market many times and never dared to take them home but now i must try. we LOVE hundred acres – eaten there 2 of the 3 times we’ve visited new york and will surely frequent the happy hour when we move to the city soon!

July 10, 2009 1:14 pm

Let me know when you do move, we can grab a glass of wine there. Have a smooth move! I’m moving next week to Brooklyn and my apartment is all boxes!

July 10, 2009 5:20 pm
    BarbM said:

Will try the stinging nettle and ramps pesto next year when they come round again.Became aware that you could eat nettles when reading a history of a Tibetan explorer who was reduced to eating them for the vitamin content.Read about ramps on the WVA country home cooking blog.She puts them in omlettes and everything imaginable.Her husband goes bonkers harvesting them in the spring.She will be tickled to know they have gone upscale.

August 18, 2009 5:41 pm

Hi, just wanted to tell you, I enjoyed this post.
    It was inspiring. Keep on posting!

May 2, 2014 8:01 am

スーパーコピー商品、ブランドコピ ー財布、偽物バッグコピー財布コピーN 級品、ブ ランドスーパーコピー商 品、グッチ財布コピー,ミュウミュウ 財布激安。ブランドスーパーコ ピー銀座、ランドスーパーコピー財布。ブラ ンドスーパーコピー代引き、ブランドスーパーコピー専門店、ご購入する度、ご安心とご満足の届けることを旨にしておりますよろしくお願いします ありがとうございます

November 16, 2015 6:29 am

エルメス ボリードスーパーコピー.ブランド直営店.ブランド,エルメス激安通販,業界で最高な品質に挑戦します!”ブランドN級品ブランドコピー 代引き,スーパーコピー時計,ブランドN級品,楽天コピーブランド,,偽物ブラン日本最大級の最高のスーパーコピーブランド財布激安代引き販売店,スーパーコピー時計の激安老舗.!国内No.1時計コピー工房,アフターサービスも自ら製造したスーパーコピー時計なので、技術力でお客様に安心のサポー トをご提供させて頂きます。スーパーコピー 代引きN品をご 購入の方は、こちらへ.弊社は正規品と同等品質のコピー品を低価で お客様に提供します!すべての商品は品質2年無料保証です。100%実物写真ですし、品質が完璧です!”スーパーコピーブランド財布激安 偽物財布激安コピー ルイヴィトン財布偽物,偽物財布コピー

November 16, 2015 6:30 am

2015年の新素材-新作!高品質 腕時計高品質の追求 超N品を良心価格で提供詳しくは以下のようなブランドがあります。HERMES(バッグ、財布、時計) CHANEL(バッグ、財布、時計)LOUIS VUITTON(バッグ、小物、財布、時計) BVLGARI(財布、時計)Christian Dior(バッグ、財布) COACH(バッグ、財布)GUCCI(バッグ、財布) ROLEX(時計)OMEGA(時計) IWC(時計)FRANCK MULLER(時計) HUBLOT(時計)クロエ CHLOE バッグなどです。ご不明点が ございましたらお気軽にお問い合わせください

November 16, 2015 6:31 am

ブランドコピーの専門店スーパーコピー豊富に揃えております、最も手頃ず価格だお気に入りの商品を購入。弊社フクショー(FUKUSHOW)ブランド腕時計、雑貨、小物最新作!エルメス バーキンスーパーコピー時計N品のみ取り扱っていまずのて、2年品質保証。エルメス食器,スーパーコピーブランド激安販売シャネル 財布スーパーコピー,スーパーコピーブランド 財布激安販売エルメス スーパーコピー,スーパーコピーブランド激安販売売スーパーコピーロレックス スーパーコピー,スーパーコピーROLEX激安販売IWC スーパーコピー,スーパーコピーIWC時計激安販売エルメス時計スーパーコピー,スーパーコピーhermes時計激安販売ボッテガ ヴェネタスーパーコピー,スーパーコピーブランド財布激安販売スーパーコピー時計スーパーコピーブランドバッグ時計コピー激安販売

November 16, 2015 6:36 am

November 16, 2015 6:43 am

ブランド激安市場コピーブランドコピー,スーパーレプリカ,ブランド激安市場 女社長 激安 シャネル 財布(CHANEL),グッチ 財布 (GUCCI) 激安,ヴィトン(lv) 新作 財布 激安 ルイヴィトン財布コピー,新作 ブランブランドを特別価格で提供中!ルイヴィトン財布、ルイヴィトンバッグ、ルイヴィトンベルトブランド激安市場ブランドコピー,大人気のルイヴィトン,スーパーコピー,様々な高品質ーパーコピー時計,ブルイヴィトン コピー ブランドレプリカ 激安 ブランド激安市場 ロレックス コピー スーパーコピー ルイヴィトン、シャネル、グッチ、エルメス、クロエ、ブラダ、ブルガリ ドルチェ&ガッバ―ナ、バレンシアガ、ボッテガ.ヴェネタ偽物ロレックス、ブルガリ、フランク ミュラー、シャネル、カルティエ、オメガ、IWC、ルイヴィトン、オーデマ ピゲ、ブライトリング、

November 16, 2015 6:44 am

ブランドコピー時計大人気を海外激安通販専門店ロレックス、ブルガリ、フランク ミュラー、シャネル、カルティエ、オメガ、IWC、ルイヴィトン、オーデマ ピゲ、ブライトリング、グッチ、エルメス、パネライ、パテックフィリップ偽物(コピー商品)のブランドの腕時計の販売、通販。

November 16, 2015 6:50 am