Tuesday, January 6, 2009

tofu stir-fry with spinach and okra

tofu, spinach and okra stirfry

It pains me to say this – but the cookies must take a break for a bit. My pants have told me this as well as the fact that I went through a total of twenty pounds of butter making treats for work. Twenty. Pounds. Of. Butter. And there are still butter reserves in my freezer, it’s like a mini-China in there. I promised the butter I would not abandon it forever, but a breather is much needed after the month of decadent and sweet treats.

tofu, spinach and okra stirfry

In addition to me swearing off cookies for awhile (let’s see how long that lasts), I also signed up for a half marathon in a few months to keep myself honest and motivated. While it’s both exciting and intimidating, I know it’s very achievable if I stick to a training routine with some discipline.

tofu, spinach and okra stirfry

I first made this stir-fry a few days ago as I was trying to save wilting spinach and sad-looking okra and was attempting my hand at something moderately healthy – and it was delicious. I threw in some ginger and spices for an added kick and served the vegetables over some brown rice. I know that not everyone likes okra – and it is a tough vegetable to love. A little slimy, without much flavor, okra is like an ugly step-child of the vegetable family. But it readily absorbs other flavors and envelops the dish in softness, which to me tastes comforting – perfect for a winter meal.

tofu, spinach and okra stirfry

And if tofu is not your thing, throw in some chicken instead, or other vegetables you might like. It’s a stir-fry so really – just about anything goes. Except for, maybe, cookies?

Tofu Stir-fry with Spinach and Okra

Olive oil
1/8 tsp turmeric
1/8 tsp sambar powder
1/8 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp minced fresh ginger
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 lb firm tofu, cut into ½ inch cubes
1 cup spinach
1 cup cut okra
Salt to taste

Add a glug of olive oil to a non-stick skillet and warm it slowly over low heat. Add the spices and warm them up, being careful not to burn them, for about 60 seconds. Turn up the heat to medium-high and throw in garlic, ginger and onions. A few minutes after, dial the heat down to medium and add tofu. Cook the tofu until nicely browned on sides. At this point, add the spinach and okra and sauté for a few more minutes until nicely warmed. Add salt to season.

Serve over some cooked rice. If you want to add hot sauce, like Sriracha,

Serves 4.

dailyfill said:

You’re suddenly making me want tofu. I don’t even like tofu but I’m craving healthy eats after the holidays.
    What’s the second spice listed in the recipe? My browser is showing empty brackets.

January 7, 2009 12:20 am
    ann said:

Twenty… Pounds… Of… Butter? WOW. You’re co-workers must looooove you. I know I would :-)
    But I hear you on the healthy food. I was hoping the economic downturn would equal a cookie downturn, but nope, didn’t happen. I’m on a healthy food kick now too. I’m not a big fan of okra, but the rest of this sounds delish!

January 7, 2009 7:52 am
    Caitlin said:

I’m so glad I’m not the only one who signs themselves up for a half-marathon just so I can’t weasel out of working out :) It also gives me an excuse not to completely cut cookies out of my diet – they are a food group, right? Good luck with the half training!

January 7, 2009 8:35 am

Dailyfill – sorry about the omission, it’s sambar powder — and i just fixed it.
    Ann – I’m ALL over budget-friendly meals. More of them coming soon.
    Caitlin – you and me both. We can give each other training tips :) And commiserate together. It’s a good reason to keep cookies close by – we will earn them.

January 7, 2009 8:40 am
    Kate said:

I was also relieved that someone else signed up for races to keep them honest. I planned on a February marathon to keep me (somewhat) honest over the holidays. It kinda worked. After Saturday long runs, I feel like I can eat anything!

January 7, 2009 3:36 pm
    Amanda said:

I long to do marathons, but sadly the only marathon I’d be good at is the elliptical marathon. Pedaling in a 5k? Sign me up :) But I am re-devoting myself to pilates and strength training. Some muscle was lost in the great cookie-demolishment of ’08.

January 7, 2009 11:29 pm
    marta said:

This sounds really good. I’ve been experimenting with Malaysian food and found that okra is popular in SE Asia. They are called ‘Ladyfingers’ which is kind a charming name. They are pretty good stirfried or in a curry.

February 7, 2009 9:26 pm
    Christina said:

That sounds awesome! I’ve been wanted to try more stir-fry dishes with tofu, and this is the next one on my list. I love how vibrant the colors are, and I never would have though of using okra in a stir-fry.

February 14, 2009 6:48 pm
    Kate said:

Yum! Love me some tofu stir-frys. Don’t think I can get okra here this time of year, but am excited to try the spice combo. Sounds great!

April 23, 2011 2:30 pm

Kate – how about frozen okra? I think it’s always available.

April 24, 2011 8:07 am

I tried this tonight because I found cheap okra and had some atsuage tofu. WOW, this was GREAT!! Absolutely hit the spot, and I thought it was perfect without Sriracha but when I added some Sriracha to try, I thought that was even better! I give this an 11/10…

May 24, 2012 9:17 am

スーパーコピーブランド 代引き安心老舗当店は海外高品質のブランドコピー 代引き,スーパーコピー 代引き通販人気老舗です。2015新作 ルイヴィトン コピー代引き、シャネル コピー代引き、
    業界最高峰のブランドコピー 激安、コピーブランド、スーパーコピーブランド(N級品)通販専門店!ブランドコピー,コピーブランド,スーパーコピーブランド,ブランドコピー 激安,偽物ブランド、偽物のバッグ、腕時計、財布など激安で買える!全部のスーパーコピー販売品物のなかで私達のブランド激安が一番有名です http://www.okakaku.com/brand-24-copy-0.html

November 14, 2015 11:04 pm

スーパーコピー時計,バッグ,財布| ブランドコピーの専門店スーパーコピー豊富に揃えております、最も手頃ず価格だお気に入りの商品を購入。弊社フクショー(FUKUSHOW)ブランド腕時計、雑貨、小物最新作!エルメス バーキンスーパーコピー時計N品のみ取り扱っていまずのて、2年品質保証。エルメス食器,スーパーコピーブランド激安販売シャネル 財布スーパーコピー,スーパーコピーブランド 財布激安販売エルメス スーパーコピー,スーパーコピーブランド激安販売売スーパーコピーロレックス スーパーコピー,スーパーコピーROLEX激安販売IWC スーパーコピー,スーパーコピーIWC時計激安販売エルメス時計スーパーコピー,スーパーコピーhermes時計激安販売ボッテガ ヴェネタスーパーコピー,スーパーコピーブランド財布激安販売スーパーコピー時計スーパーコピーブランドバッグ時計コピー激安販売
    高品質2015シャネル スーパーコピー激安專門店弊社は海外大好評を博くシャネル コピー激安老舗です,2015高品質シャネル バッグ コピー,シャネル 靴 コピー,シャネル 財布 コピー品の品質はよくて、激安の大特価でご提供します。 http://www.bagkakaku.com/hermes_bag.html

November 14, 2015 11:05 pm

ブランドスーパーコピーバッグ、財布、靴、時計ブランド偽物、偽物ブランド、ルイヴィトンコピー、 ロレックスコピー、シャネルコピー、グッチコピー、エルメスコピー、 ボッテガ?ヴェネタコピー、 バーバリーコピー、ミュウミュウコピー、トリーバーチコピー、バレンシアガコピー、ディオールコピー、ブルガリコピー、ブラダコピー、 ドルチェ&ガッバーナコピー、オメガコピー、フランク ミュラーコピー、gagaコピー。2015ヴィトン最新逸品 腕時計 休閑気質 ヴィトン 腕時計 独特魅力 腕時計
    プラダ スーパーコピー,プラダ 財布 コピー,プラダ 新作 財布ブランド財布コピー,ブランド スーパーコピー 財布,プラダ スーパーコピー 財布,シャネル財布コピー,グッチ スーパーコピー 財布,エルメス スーパーコピー 財布,ルイヴィトン長財布コピー,スーパーコピー財布,エルメスコピー財布,各種のブランドはかばんをコピーします偽物ブランド,激安偽物,ブランド財布コピー,エルメス財布コピー,ブランドのコピーブランド財布,ルイ?ヴィトンブランド財布コピー,偽ブランドグッチ財布,D&G,コピー財布偽物,偽物時計コピー,時計,ボッテガベルト,,靴,その他のバッグコピー,ブランド財布激安,ブランド激安販売,偽ブランド激安市場,通販送料無料專門店 ルイヴィトンコピー 児玉店,当店ルイヴィトン コピー 財布、ルイヴィトン コピー バッグ 全MAX80%OFF!期間限定SALE。最短即日発送。送料無料ルイヴィトン コピー,ルイヴィトン コピー 財布,ルイヴィトン コピー バッグ http://www.brandiwc.com/brand-47-copy-0.html

November 14, 2015 11:05 pm