Thursday, May 1, 2008

chocolate-covered matzo

chocolate-covered matzo

I’m going to make this short and sweet for several reasons. First of all there is little I can say about chocolate-covered matzo, other than it’s super easy to make, it tastes really good, and it gives you a great way to use your leftover matzo, which you probably have grown sick of in the 8 day span when Passover ran your life and diet.

Me, I had a few boxes left over, reminding me of my over-zealousness in preparation for the holiday. Also, chocolate-covered matzo is so easy to make, it’s almost embarrassing to dedicate a whole blog post to it, let alone give you the recipe for how to make it. It’s almost as if I would talk down to you all, it’s that easy. And talking down to you is the last thing I want to do.

But here’s the thing – this simple snack tastes so good, I want to tell the world, you don’t have to eat your matzo plain, or with cream cheese or butter – you can have it with chocolate. (As if I needed another reason to have chocolate.)

chocolate-covered matzo

And lastly, I want to keep this short because today is my 30th birthday(here come the wrinkles!) So I want to go and revel in the day – I think I deserve it. Maybe I’ll make myself a chocolate-covered matzo and stick a candle in it.

5 days to 30 - no fear

1 slice matzo
6 squares of good-quality, dark chocolate such as Michel Cluizel

Melt the chocolate in a double boiler, or if you are lazy like me, a microwave
Spread the melted chocolate over the matzo slice until the slice is thoroughly covered and place the matzo in the fridge until the chocolate cools and solidifies. Remove from the fridge and enjoy.

deb said:

Aw, Happy Birthday!

May 1, 2008 2:41 pm
    chzplz said:

long time reader, first time poster.
    Sassy – you’re one hot cookie. :)

May 1, 2008 3:37 pm
    melissa said:

honestly? I didn’t know you were so young hehehe. I have no idea why, but I thought you were in your 40′s.
    but HAPPY BIRTHDAY! 30 is an awesome age. and you, my dear, look beautiful and 25 at best. you look like a kid. I mean that in the best way possible of course. :)
    never once in my whole childhood did it occur to me to eat matzo with chocolate. I always just slapped butter on, or tuna salad. I may have to try this.

May 1, 2008 3:38 pm
    ann said:

Holy crap! It’s mine too! Except I’m a few years older than you (uh, three to be exact!) May Day babies rule! Happy Birthday Sassy! May your year be full of joy, happiness and fun times!

May 1, 2008 3:39 pm

Thanks everyone for the bday wishes!
    Ann, that’s so cool that we share a birthday! Happy birthday to you!
    Melissa – you must try this – it’s incredible. And now that Passover is over, you can actually put peanut butter on top of the whole thing too – and that’s just too awesome a combination to resist.

May 1, 2008 3:57 pm
    robin said:

Happy Birthday Radish!

May 1, 2008 4:39 pm

happy birthday!!!!
    big hug and kiss!!
    xoxoxox, jaden

May 1, 2008 9:42 pm
    EB said:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I’m so glad you’re an arbiter of the choco matzo. I’ve been nibbling on the stash I grabbed at the seder I went to. It really is a perfect snack. I like you’re ‘gourmet’ take on it too.

May 2, 2008 5:38 pm

Hope you had a wonderful 30th birthday! Not sure what matzo is, but anything smothered in chocolate is A-OK by me :)

May 5, 2008 7:49 am
    Helen said:

Happy (belated) birthday radish! You look way younger than me and I’m 3 years younger than you so I wouldn’t worry about those wrinkles!

May 5, 2008 9:32 am
    Bea said:

A very happy birthday to you! 30th, the great age! You look as yound and great as one can dream!

May 5, 2008 3:08 pm
    Luisa said:

A little late, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Hope you had a wonderful day.

May 6, 2008 8:26 pm

Robin, Jaden, EB, Ellie, Helen, Bea and Luisa – THANK YOU for such lovely birthday greetings! It was a fabulous birthday – I’d do it all over again! :)

May 7, 2008 1:12 pm

Chocolate and matzoh! I was just recently introduced to matzoh w/ cream cheese and matzoh w/ peanut butter. But this has got to be crazy good…like one giant, flat chocolate-covered pretzel. Hey…make it even better by sprinkling some kosher or sea salt on top.

May 8, 2008 1:54 pm
    Su-Lin said:

Happy Birthday! and may I add, you don’t look a day over 18!
    Love the blog, btw! Just discovered it!

May 20, 2008 11:59 am