- Sassy Radish - http://www.sassyradish.com -
red pepper soup
Posted By olga On August 17, 2007 @ 9:56 am In Soup | 3 Comments
Red Pepper Soup
Adapted from the New York Times 9/21/05 & Deb @ SmittenKitchen 
Total time: 45 minutes
2 tablespoons olive oil
3¼ cup sliced onions
3 large cloves garlic, crushed
¼ cup dry white wine
12 large red bell peppers cut in 1-inch pieces
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock or broth
2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
¼ to ½ teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
Salt and white pepper
Crème fraîche or sour cream for garnish
Sage leaves for garnish
Hot sauce (optional)
1. Put oil in large pot. Add onion when oil is hot. Cook onions until they begin to soften and take on color. Add garlic and cook another minute. Add wine and cook down quickly, until about 1 tablespoon is left.
2. Add peppers, stock, sage and red pepper flakes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer until peppers are tender, about 30 minutes.
3. In food processor or blender, purée mixture in batches until smooth and adjust seasonings to taste.
4. Cover and chill overnight or for as long as 2 days or freeze (whisk well before serving if thawed). If you cannot wait to try this soup, it’s a beauty warm!
5. Serve in demitasse cups or soup bowls, topped with a dab of crème fraîche or sour cream and a few sage leaves.
Yield: Makes six generous servings or twelve appetizer ones.
red pepper soup originally published on sassyradish.com
URL to article: http://www.sassyradish.com/2007/08/a-blanket-and-a-soup/
URLs in this post:
 SmittenKitchen: http://www.smittenkitchen.com
All content & photos © 2004-2013 sassyradish.com.