- Sassy Radish - http://www.sassyradish.com -
easy potato latkes
Posted By olga On December 20, 2006 @ 11:24 pm In Vegetables | No Comments
6 large Idaho potatoes
4 large eggs
4-5 tbsp flour
4 tsp salt
oil for frying
1. Grate the potatoes on the most coarse side of the grater. Place the grated potatoes into a sieve and strain. You may want to grab a cheese cloth and strain by wrapping the potatoes inside and squeezing the mass.
2. In a large bowl, mix the potatoes, eggs, flour and salt together. The consistency should be such that the mixture kind of binds together. I suggest frying a test pancake to see how it turns out. You might want to add a bit more flour if it falls apart.
3. In a large pan heated pan with oil, place the shaped pancake inside. To shape the pancake, grab some of the mixture and flatten it so that you have an oval three inches in length or so. You may want to squeeze out excess moisture before placing the pancake in the pan to fry. [Don't be alarmed if the potatoes start discoloration - it happens when potatoes oxidize.]
4. Fry the latkes until they are golden brown and crispy on the edges.
5. Serve with sour cream or apple sauce. I prefer the sour cream, but that’s just me.
*** One of my favorite artisanal cheeses that hails from California and won the first prize at an American Cheese Study (go figure) in 2002.
easy potato latkes originally published on sassyradish.com
URL to article: http://www.sassyradish.com/2006/12/ignoring-all-things-atkinsrela/
All content & photos © 2004-2013 sassyradish.com.